Kids Safety

Kids Safety

Sun Smart

The Sun Smart program, jointly funded by Cancer Council Victoria and the Victorian Health Promotion Foundation ( Vichealth ) since 1988, leads the world in UV protection.

QUESTION: when can't children play outside?

Active outdoor play is very important for overall health and development. We do not ask you to restrict outdoor play but to ensure children are well protected whenever they are outside during the sun protection times by using appropriate sun protective clothing, hats, sunscreen and shade.

QUESTION : Is SPF50 sunscreen better than SPF30?

SunSmart recommends choosing a sunscreen that is at least SPF30 or higher, broad-spectrum and water- resistant.

All SPF30 and SPF50 sunscreens offer very similar UVB protection i.e. approx. 97% of UVB is blocked if the sunscreen is applied correctly.

According to the TGA regulations and Australian Standards Test protocol a broad-spectrum sunscreen must block more than 90% of UVA rays. An SPF30 sunscreen blocks 96.7% of UV and transmits the remaining 3.3% .An SPF50 sunscreen blocks 98% of learn more, see our Sunscreen information sheets.

QUESTION: It wasn't hot, so why did I get sunburnt?

Its the sun's ultraviolet ( UV ) radiation - not heat - that causes sunburn, premature againg, eye damage and skin damage, which can ultimately lead to skin cancer. UV cannot be seenof felt. it is not like the suns light which we see, or the sun's warmth (infrared radiation) whichwe feel. Because we can't sense UV radiation, we won't know its damaged our skin until its already to late.

The best way to make sure that your going to be protected when you need to is to check the sun protection times on the free SunSmart app and use a combination of the five sun protection steps during these times.

QUESTION: Will I become vitamin D deficient it I use sun protection"

Vitamin D levels can vary throughout the seasons for Victorians. The amount of UV exposure needed to maintain vitamin D levels depends on the time of year, location skin type and current vitamin D level.

Between September and April in Victoria (When UV levels are generally high), a combination of sun protection measures should be used-even for people who have been diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency. During this time of year, most people make enough vitamin D because UV levels are highand more time is spent outdoors. during these months, most Victorians need just a few minutes of mid-morning or mid-afternoon sun exposure for their vitamin D needs, being extra cautious in the middle of the day when UV levels are most intense.

From May to August in Victoria (When UV Levels are generally low) sun protection is not recommended, so people are encouraged to be outdoors around midday each day, with some skin uncovered. Being physically active outdoors will also help boost vitamin D levels.

People who work outdoors for long periods of time may need sun protection all year, as they have an increased risk of skin cancer. Sun protection may also be required when near reflective surfaces (such as snow), or if UV levels reach 3 or higher.

QUESTION : Can SunSmart have any shade grants?

SunSmart is a program run by Cancer Council Victoria, a not-for-profit organisation, that relies on fundraising and donations and as such we are unable to provide shade grants. However you can find funding suggestions and grant programs listed on our website. You will need to do your own research to ensure you fit the criteria. SunSmart can provide information about natural and built shade and conducting a shade audit to help you choose the most appropriate shade for your setting.

QUESTION: I got sunburn't a lot as a child, is it too late to protect my skin now?

Its never too late to improve your sun protection habits and cut your skin cancer risk. While sun exposure in the first 10 years of life determines a person's lifetime potential for skin cancer, sun exposure in later life determines the extent to which this potential is realized. You can reduce your risk of skin cancer at any age by improving you sun protection use, whether you are 15 or 50.

ABC news online publishes "UV exposure causing serious eye disease and damage in Children"

February 10, 2017

This article was published two days ago in ABC news online 

Doctors warn UV exposure causes serious eye disease and damage in children.

Dr Shanel Sharma was interviewed by ABC Radio Sydney. She explained that as a paediatric ophthalmologist, she has seen many kids this summer with UV related eye disease and would like people to know the risks involved. This is why she co-founded Beamers.

Beamers have Optoshield technology, which have ALL the features necessary for maximum UV protection, in every pair of sunglasses.